a plain knitted vest

I knew it.  I bloody knew it, the moment that I saw this vest on the Pickles website  I knew I would have to make it.

I ummed and ahhed about it for ages though, with my usual pre-knitting jitters.  Wailing "I can't, I can't do it" is never a good look and Darren just rolls his eyes now as if I'm some ridiculous attention seeker requiring a bolstering of confidence that he just can't provide given that he still thinks knitting is some form of dark magic performed by witches underneath a full moon.

So with a few morale boosting emails and tips from my buddies, who told me it was easy but came up small, I decided to just do it and worry about the results later. I already had the two yarns, this is the first time I've knitted with two strands of different yarn and I like it - it creates a pretty marled effect, not at all what I expected. 

It starts of easy, really easy until you get to the armholes.  Now because I had been told that the armholes were on the small side I tried them as per the pattern the first time - just to be sure.  And yep, they were tiny.  Plus my casting off for the armhole looked hideous!  I am a really crap knitter.

So I frogged back and tried again, this time using a technique for casting off that I found suggested on ravelry where you kfb the last knitted stitch in order to create a spare stitch to make the casting off look neater - this worked!  So I tried again and this time I adjusted the stitches to create bigger armholes (perfect) but tried out a new method for casting on the new stitches above the armhole and it looked awful - really, really BAD!  So frogged again.

Third time lucky? Nope.  Made another mistake, dropped a stitch.  Whilst trying to fix this dropped stitch I got into a holy (oh the pun!) mess and ended up with a massive gap and so frogged again.  This time I had to go quite far back because I had fannied about so bleeding much.  I decided that I would give it one last try and if I couldn't sort myself out then I would frog the whole lot.

Race face on.  Check.  Knitting fingers at the ready.  Check.  Arse in gear.  Check, check, check.

This time I nailed it.  Mission armhole completed.

Next problem, yep this project wasn't quite as quick and easy as it probably should have been huh. 

Decreasing?!?  The pattern basically says decrease evenly across the next row.  That is it.  No instructions, nothing.  Erm.  Okaaay.  And how do I do that??  It makes my head hurt how difficult I find knitting.

After much trawling through the other plain vest projects on Ravelry, I found some helpful folks who told me exactly how to do that with the general opinion being I could k3, k2tog all the way along.  Fine. Fine. Did that. Fine.  Only trouble is I ended up with uneven sides (so one side finished on a k2tog and the other side didn't) and it meant that the finished article looked squiffy.  See.

  yes, yes dear that's what we call an uneven yoke!

yes, yes dear that's what we call an uneven yoke!

In true crap knitter fashion I didn't notice the squiff until after I'd cast off so I'm stuck with it.

However I am turning into a bit of a whizz at fixing my knitting blunders when sewing in ends and finishing off and I decided to crochet a trim just to the top few stitches of wonky yoke to make it look more even and then I bunged on some buttons I found in a jar and ta da!!!  Betsy has got a new vest.  I am awesome after all.

Technical stuff

:: Yarn :: Drops Baby Merino, shade 22, light grey and Rowan handknit cotton, shade 341, mist.

:: Needles :: 5.5mm

:: Pattern :: free from Pickles via Ravelry

:: Buttons :: wooden ones from button jar - have no idea where or when I got them.